Free Consultation Form

Send My Information

Workers’ Compensation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Law Offices of Wax & Wax

After a work-related injury, the most important thing (aside from your health) is obtaining the benefits you need for medical treatment, lost wages, and disability. At the Law Offices of Wax & Wax, our workers’ compensation attorneys are committed to securing all of the financial resources you will need to help you on your road to recovery.

Call (818) 946-0608 or contact us online to speak with an attorney today.

You may have questions about your injury at work. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers to a wide range of topics about workers’ compensation.

  1. What should I do if I’m injured at work? Report the injury to your employer, by talking to your supervisor, as soon as possible. This helps prevent problems and delays in receiving benefits, which includes the medical care you will need. In addition to reporting the injury, get emergency treatment if needed or find a health care provider from your employer. You now have documentation of your injuries for your workers’ comp claim.
  2. How long do I have to report my injury? Generally, you have 30 days from the date of your injury to report it to your employer. You also have to file your workers’ comp claim, known as the DWC-1 claim form in California. If your injury occurs over time, you have 30 days from the date you suffer a temporary disability and realize that it was due to a work-related injury.
  3. What happens if I don’t report it on time? You might not be able to collect workers’ comp benefits, unless you can show that your employer knew or should have known about your injury within the 30-day period. If you simply didn’t report it, you should talk to a workers’ compensation attorney to figure out other options.
  4. What benefits am I entitled to? Workers’ comp insurance provides medical care, temporary disability benefits, permanent disability benefits, supplemental job displacement benefits, and death benefits.
  5. Can I see my own doctor? In California, the doctor you choose must be your regular primary care physician. If your health insurance is through your employer, and you have not predesignated a doctor, you’ll likely need to see a doctor chosen by your employer or in your employer’s healthcare network.
  6. Can my employer fire me while I’m on disability? It is illegal to terminate or discriminate against an employee who is injured at work and on disability. If you are fired, you may have your compensation increased by one half up to a maximum of $10,000, plus costs up to $250, reinstatement of your job and reimbursement for lost wages and work benefits.
  7. What if my workers’ comp claim is denied? If your claim is rejected, you can request a hearing before the California Workers' Compensation Appeals Board. While you’re not required to bring a lawyer, it definitely helps, especially if your injury is serious enough.

If you need legal representation in connection with a workers' compensation matter, contact our Glendale workers’ compensation lawyers at the Law Offices of Wax & Wax. Call us at (818) 946-0608 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.